Mosquito bites. No matter where you are, if you fall victim to a hungry Mosquito family you can be pretty sure you’re going to spend the next 5-7 days ITCHY.
I’ve always suffered pretty bad from Mosquito bites and as I’ve said in a previous post, I would literally get covered on each limb. It looked horrendous & was incredibly painful. They were huge, bright red & purple blister type bites and would swell for weeks.
Prior to my holiday a few weeks ago, avoiding mosquito bites was a big discussion between Jon and I in the office. He loved to tell me that he never gets bitten whilst I was fretting over how many I was going to fall victim too having already had 6 HUGE ones on my shins from just being in the UK. So what on earth was Jon using that I clearly wasn’t?
Vital Oils & Lotion!
He’s being using the Oils & Lotions from Natural Elements for years and has literally not been bitten once since doing so. SIGN. ME. UP.
I wanted to dig into why they worked so well. I’d always been told ‘oh you must have sweet blood’ or ‘oh you must taste nice’, not exactly comforting. So, what was it about the Vital Oils in the Natural Elements products that made them so good at repelling insects?
So first the facts:
- Anti-Microbial essential oils can reduce the risk of developing an infection. Good news when you’re on holiday and want to concentrate on having fun and not resting your infected bites.
- Anti-inflammatory oils can change the way the body reacts to bug bites, reducing the itch. Even better news.
What Essential Oils should you be looking out for that have those benefits:
- Tea Tree
- oTea Tree is pretty well documented for it’s broad benefits. Anti-bacterial, Anti-Microbial and Anti-Viral properties make Tea Tree a powerhouse to fight off infections. Powerful antiseptic properties give Tea Tree the ability to treat wounds effectively too.
- oLavender is best known for improving your mood and calming you into a deep sleep but it’s also great for reducing the pain of a bite and reducing the urge to itch!
- oGeranium is great for minimising inflammation and speeding up recovery of wounds and burns.
- oIf you couldn’t resist the itch and you think your lovely bite is now going to scar then Patchouli is your go-to. It has cell rejuvenating properties that will help reduce the appearance of scars or marks on your skin.
Needless to say, when I went away I was Vital Oil’d up to the max and I had NO bites throughout the whole 10 days. NOT ONE. I have quite honestly never been more impressed.
I took the Holiday Companion Kit away with me but the specific Body Oil we have developed as an insect repellent is the Reviving Body Oil, packed with all the Vital Oils you need to make sure you aren’t feasted on by those nasty bugs while you’re on holiday or just minding your own business in your back garden.
Don’t forget to keep your skin hydrated and supple. Hydrated skin performs every required function better when it’s feeling ‘fed’ and looked after.